Ascend Online Media Limited understands that your privacy is important to you and that you care about how your personal data is used. We respect and value the privacy of everyone who visits this website, EnergyAverage.co.uk (“Our Site”) and will only collect and use personal data in ways that are described here, and in a manner that is consistent with our obligations and your rights under the law.
1. Definitions and Interpretation
In this Policy the following terms shall have the following meanings:
|“Account”||means an account required to access and/or use certain areas and features of Our Site;|
|“Cookie”||means a small text file placed on your computer or device by Our Site when you visit certain parts of Our Site and/or when you use certain features of Our Site. Details of the Cookies used by Our Site are set out in Part 14, below; and|
|“Cookie Law”||means the relevant parts of the Privacy and Electronic Communications (EC Directive) Regulations 2003;|
|“We/Us/Our”||means Ascend Online Media Limited, a company registered in Scotland under SC281126, whose registered address is Blue Square House, 272 Bath Street, Glasgow, G2 4JR, United Kingdom.|
2. Information About Us
Our Site is owned and operated by Ascend Online Media Limited, a limited company registered in Scotland under company number SC281126.
Registered address: Blue Square House, 272 Bath Street, Glasgow, G2 4JR, United Kingdom.
VAT number: GB 828 5585 86
3. What Does This Policy Cover?
4. What is Personal Data?
Personal data is defined by the General Data Protection Regulation (EU Regulation 2016/679) (the “GDPR”) as ‘any information relating to an identifiable person who can be directly or indirectly identified in particular by reference to an identifier’.
Personal data is, in simpler terms, any information about you that enables you to be identified. Personal data covers obvious information such as your name and contact details, but it also covers less obvious information such as identification numbers, electronic location data, and other online identifiers.
5. What Are My Rights?
Under the GDPR, you have the following rights, which We will always work to uphold:
- The right to access the personal data We hold about you. Part 13 will tell you how to do this.
- The right to have your personal data rectified if any of your personal data held by Us is inaccurate or incomplete. Please contact Us using the details in Part 15 to find out more.
- The right to be forgotten, i.e. the right to ask Us to delete or otherwise dispose of any of your personal data that We have. Please contact Us using the details in Part 15 to find out more.
- The right to restrict (i.e. prevent) the processing of your personal data.
- The right to object to Us using your personal data for a particular purpose or purposes.
- The right to data portability. This means that, if you have provided personal data to Us directly, We are using it with your consent or for the performance of a contract, and that data is processed using automated means, you can ask Us for a copy of that personal data to re-use with another service or business in many cases.
- Rights relating to automated decision-making and profiling. We do not use your personal data in this way.
For more information about Our use of your personal data or exercising your rights as outlined above, please contact Us using the details provided in Part 15.
Further information about your rights can also be obtained from the Information Commissioner’s Office or your local Citizens Advice Bureau.
If you have any cause for complaint about Our use of your personal data, you have the right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioner’s Office.
6. What Data Do We Collect?
- Name (Only if you contact Us by email);
- Email address (Only if you contact Us by email);
- IP address;
- Web browser type and version;
- Operating system;
- A list of URLs starting with a referring site, your activity on Our Site, and the site you exit to;
7. How Do You Use My Personal Data?
Under the GDPR, We must always have a lawful basis for using personal data. This may be because the data is necessary for Our performance of a contract with you, because you have consented to Our use of your personal data, or because it is in Our legitimate business interests to use it. Your personal data willbe used for the following purposes:
- Providing and managing your access to Our Site;
- Personalising and tailoring your experience on Our Site;
- Providing you and others with information about goods and services that We, or third parties offer that may interest you or them.
- Communicating with you. This may include responding to emails or calls from you.
- Analysing your use of Our Site to enable Us to continually improve Our Site and your user experience.
Third Parties (including Awin and Clicky) whose content appears on Our Site may use third-party Cookies, as detailed below in Part 14. Please refer to Part 14 for more information on controlling cookies. Please note that We do not control the activities of such third parties, nor the data that they collect and use themselves, and We advise you to check the privacy policies of any such third parties.
8. How Long Will You Keep My Personal Data?
We will not keep your personal data for any longer than is necessary in light of the reason(s) for which it was first collected. Your personal data will therefore be kept for the following periods (or, where there is no fixed period, the following factors will be used to determine how long it is kept):
- For as long as is necessary for the purposes for which it is processed. These periods vary depending on the nature of the information and your interactions with Us;
- For as long as we are legally required to for legal, financial and taxation reasons.
9. How and Where Do You Store or Transfer My Personal Data?
We may store or transfer some or all of your personal data in countries that are not part of the European Economic Area (the “EEA” consists of all EU member states, plus Norway, Iceland, and Liechtenstein). These are known as “third countries” and may not have data protection laws that are as strong as those in the UK and/or the EEA. You are deemed to accept and agree to this by using Our Site and submitting information to Us.
Where We transfer your data to a third party based in the US, this may be protected if they are part of the EU-US Privacy Shield. This requires that third party to provide data protection to standards similar to those in Europe. More information is available from the European Commission.
The security of your personal data is essential to Us, and to protect your data, We take a number of important measures, including the following:
- Restricting access to personal data;
- Restricting access to computer systems.
10. Do You Share My Personal Data?
We may sometimes contract with third parties to supply certain products and services. In some cases, those third parties may require access to some or all of your personal data that We hold.
- We provide your personal information to the media agencies and energy suppliers whose products and services are listed on Our website to help you find and buy their products and services. When you buy products or services from these suppliers, their own privacy policies will apply to how they use your personal information. You can find these privacy policies on their websites and you should check that you are happy with them before completing your transaction.
If any of your personal data is required by a third party, as described above, We will take steps to ensure that your personal data is handled safely, securely, and in accordance with your rights, Our obligations, and the third party’s obligations under the law, as described above in Part 9.
In some limited circumstances, We may be legally required to share certain personal data, which might include yours, if We are involved in legal proceedings or complying with legal obligations, a court order, or the instructions of a government authority.
11. How Can I Control My Personal Data?
In addition to your rights under the GDPR, set out in Part 5, when you submit personal data via Our Site, you may be given options to restrict Our use of your personal data. In particular, We aim to give you strong controls on Our use of your data for direct marketing purposes (including the ability to opt-out of receiving emails from Us which you may do by unsubscribing using the links provided in Our emails,at the point of providing your details.
You may also wish to sign up to one or more of the preference services operating in the UK: The Telephone Preference Service (“the TPS”), the Corporate Telephone Preference Service (“the CTPS”), and the Mailing Preference Service (“the MPS”). These may help to prevent you receiving unsolicited marketing. Please note, however, that these services will not prevent you from receiving marketing communications that you have consented to receiving.
12. Can I Withhold Information?
You may access certain areas of Our Site without providing any personal data at all. However, to use all features and functions available on Our Site you may be required to submit or allow for the collection of certain data.
13. How Can I Access My Personal Data?
If you want to know what personal data We have about you, you can ask Us for details of that personal data and for a copy of it (where any such personal data is held). This is known as a “subject access request”.
All subject access requests should be made in writing and sent to the postal addresses shown in Part 15.
There is not normally any charge for a subject access request. If your request is ‘manifestly unfounded or excessive’ (for example, if you make repetitive requests) a fee may be charged to cover Our administrative costs in responding.
We will respond to your subject access request within 14 days and, in any case, not more than one month of receiving it. Normally, We aim to provide a complete response, including a copy of your personal data within that time. In some cases, however, particularly if your request is more complex, more time may be required up to a maximum of three months from the date We receive your request. You will be kept fully informed of Our progress.
Website analytics refers to a set of tools used to collect and analyse usage statistics, enabling Us to better understand how people use Our Site.
15. How Do I Contact You?
To contact Us about anything to do with your personal data and data protection, including to make a subject access request, please use the following details :
Postal Address: Ascend Online Media Limited, Suite 5670, PO Box 26965, Glasgow, G1 9BW.
Wemay change this Privacy Notice from time to time. This may be necessary, for example, if the law changes, or if We change Our business in a way that affects personal data protection.